Monday, January 10, 2011

Something meant to be...

So I've figured out that the hardest part about starting a blog is the feeling that I have to get the first post just right. That I need to come up with something enticing and definitive that sets the tone of posts to come. I've also figured out that while perfection is something nice to strive for, in theory, sometimes you just end up disappointed. So this post is going to be centered around the idea that spurred my blogging interests in the first place... the deal-of-the-day!

From a decent sized globe for $16, to a 50 cent fold up handbag hook discovered in a pile of junk jewelry at the swap meet, there was a period of a week or so in December when every day something struck me as a particularly awesome deal. I would exclaim "deal-of-the-day!!" with such enthusiasm that I started to feel like they were good enough to share. These weren't deals of the Groupon variety* (which in name and theory means that a multitude of people are taking advantage of them), these were hunter-gatherer instinctual deals that you snatch up because you recognize that this is a one-time find that someone else will take advantage of if you don't.

On Sunday evening I decided to scan Craigslist just to see what kind of furniture was for sale, since I've decided that once I find and actually close on a condo I'm going to need to become the ultimate scavenger/ DIY diva in order to not go completely broke and still live comfortably (which in my case is synonymous with "stylishly" in my own funky collector crafts-person kind of way...). I found an ad for a Z Gallerie velvet bench, $100, call Natalie. Sent it to myself, initially questioning a $100 purchase of a bench without an official home. After reassuring words from two of my favorite advisers, I decided to go for it. Posted on Saturday, I thought it would have for sure been claimed when I called Monday afternoon...but as luck would have it, I was the first person to have called and it was mine if I wanted it! Picking it up at 8 pm (only minutes after I had learned that another offer [cash!] was accepted on the condo I had put an offer on Sunday morning), it was even larger and nicer than I had expected.

The color goes perfectly with a piece of art I bought a year ago (on sale!), which I envision will belong in my living room.


The bench is also the more practical, economical version of a fainting couch I found and fell in love with on some design site (most likely Apartment Therapy) and saved in my ever-evolving "condo ideas" PowerPoint (not so much for presentation purposes, but more as an easy way to assemble and easily arrange design ideas/photos... I'm not that much of a geek!)


While it seems the Bancroft Street condo wasn't meant to be, I guess my new luxurious velvet bench was! Something to keep me smiling through the emotional rollercoaster that is condo hunting :)

*Don't get me wrong, Groupons are pretty sweet when a good one comes along...as long as you actually remember to buy it!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Awesome post and the bench is very you -- I'm glad you got it! You win some you lose some (sorry about the Bancroft Street place :-/)

    ReplyDelete